When it comes to broadband for your business, you’re not short on options. There’s ADSL, fibre optic broadband, FTTP, enterprise broadband – and leased lines.
What’s a leased line?
A leased line is a dedicated broadband connection. Rather than sharing a broadband line with your neighbours – like you do with any other kind of broadband – you rent a single line all to yourself. They’re generally used by businesses with high-powered broadband needs.
With a standard shared line, the speed and reliability of your broadband can fluctuate as other users go online and eat up bandwidth. It can also mean slower speeds in general, depending on the contention ratio in your area. This isn’t an issue with a leased line, however – since it’s entirely yours to use, speeds are steady and it’s more secure.
Speeds on a leased line are available from 10Mb all the way up to 10Gb (10,000Mb), and they’re symmetrical. In other words, your download and upload speeds are the same – which is incredibly helpful if you need to upload data, host a website, use a VPN, or let remote workers use your office’s servers.
It’ll also give you low latency (lag) – essential for things like making video calls and accessing data remotely. And in most cases, you’ll get 24/7 customer care and priority fault fixes when things go wrong.
Do I need a leased line?
As broadband goes, a leased line is a very costly option.
However, if a high-quality broadband connection is absolutely vital to your business – or would give it that extra oomph – it’s worth every penny.
Consider leasing a line if your workplace…
- Is a very big office with dozens of people to connect
- Needs to transfer large amounts of data, all the time
- Does financial trading
- Runs a big website
- Needs guaranteed, reliable internet for many people, 24/7
- Uses VoIP a lot
Benefits of getting a leased line
- It can give you positively lightning-fast downloads, with symmetrical upload speeds of up to 10Gb, in fact.
- It’s not shared with anyone, so speeds are steady and won’t fluctuate.
- With most leased line packages, you can change your bandwidth whenever you want – meaning you can pay less in quieter months.
- Latency is low.
- It’s more secure and private than a shared line.
- You’re guaranteed to get a connection at the speeds you want wherever you are, with certain providers.
- You’ll get a service level agreement and priority fixes for faults.
- It often comes with static IP addresses.
Have a friendly chat with us today to find out how we could help. We’d love to hear from you. You can call us on 01494 523 523 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.